University of Vienna

Doctoral Studies in the Natural Sciences and in the field of Life Sciences - Molecular Biology, PhD (794 685 490) 

Admission to PhD studies at the University of Vienna is possible throughout the year. The admission process differs for students who finished their undergraduate studies at the University of Vienna or another University.

First you have to register in U:SPACE. Most FAQs are covered by the video tutorials there.

For the admission process you will need the following documents:

  • Your bachelor and master certificate with the legalisations required for the country it was issued in
  • Your diploma supplement, transcript of records, index
  • In case you have non-EU citizenship: proof of special entrance qualification
  • A translation of all above mentioned documents made by a court sworn translator (if the documents were issued in languages other than German or English)
  • A scan of your passport/personal ID (photo page)
  • Proof of German or English prescribed in the specific curriculum (see the curriculum of the specific master programme)
  • A passport photograph


Enrollment for semesters

By paying the student's union fee each semester (before 5th of February for the summer semester and 5th of September for the winter semester) you state that you continue your studies. Instructions about how to pay and current status can be found on U:SPACE.

IMPORTANT NOTE: you must be registered for your graduation semester!



The SMICH curriculum is registered with the University of Vienna and the Medical University of Vienna. Therefore we ask all our students to register with both universities, so they can attend all courses and collect ECTS. UniVie students will be co-registered with the MedUni and will pay the UniVie students union fee only.

Co-registration has to be renewed for each semester during the admission period!

To co-register, please fill in the online pre-registration (don’t forget your password) and email the program manager the following documents:

  • copy of student-ID
  • copy of your eCard (Austrian insurance card)
  • and your “Studienblatt” which you can download from your online account. In the following semesters you only need to provide the new “Studienblatt”.